Thursday, April 16

Ten Commandments of the New Testament

OK, there are only five of them. But where I found them is as much a story as they are in themselves. 

Way back in the early '70s, when I was helping my Dad doing some clean-up at the Richmond Christian School, I came upon an obviously old copy of Thomas a Kempis' Imitation of Christ. Sometimes libraries have to get rid of old books and replace them. I'm glad! The copy I found in the dumpster (don't ask why I was in it), had belonged to our dear late missionary Mary Baker who had apparently died at the hands of the radical Simbas in the Congo. As a child I remember hearing her speak to our church family (Immanuel Baptist Church, Richmond, VA) and being moved by her evident and deep love for the Congolese. Once, eyes twinkling, she admitted that she had a hard time in America; it was difficult speaking to all the white faces! She loved her Congolese family and frankly returned there in the midst of Simba uprisings knowing that she might face death. As far as I remember, they never found her body, but they did find her tiny shoes beside the river's edge, the apparent victim of crocodiles. 

Her copy of Kempis' Imitation contains her full name, Mary Elizabeth Baker, and the date, 1934. In the back, upon attending training school, she recorded what she labeled the "Ten Commandments--New Testament." Dr. Henry C. Mack was the instructor and the date was 3-20-35. Based on Philippians 4:8, here are the five commandments:
  1. Thou shalt be true in motive.
  2. Thou shalt be honest in action.
  3. Thou shalt be just in deed.
  4. Thou shalt be pure in character.
  5. Thou shalt be lovely in disposition.
Simple. Succinct. Spiritual. 
Sister Mary, I sincerely look forward to seeing you on the other side of the River!

No comments: