Sunday, May 24

An Intimate Sunday Thought

We've been away from home for the past week and a half, so it's been difficult to find the kind of time to post some of the many thoughts I've been mulling over in my heart. One vital truth dawns this morning, that of God's personal knowledge and care for my soul . . . yes, for your soul! Here's the text the Spirit has driven home to my heart:

Psalm 139:1-6,

O Lord, you have searched me and known me! 2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. 3 You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. 4 Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. 5 You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it. 

On this Sunday morning, when my compatriots in ministry take to the pulpit, and when I visit my sister's church in Ohio, I am reminded that service to God is not enhanced by my objectifying of it. It's so easy for ministries to fall into a plastic, pedantic and perhaps even a somewhat sterile mode, performing their duties in a businesslike manner--but without HEART! Such a shame. So, I post today with this reflection, this Psalm does not sound the note of business as usual, but of an intimate and reassuring love from and with our Lord God! That is the sum of our relationship--we get to know God and he loves us. Those who move in those circles treasure the Lord's hand on their shoulder saying, "You are mine, and I am yours." 

That's all I wanted to say for today. Perhaps the saddest consideration is that this intimacy is not "business as usual." But what a precious thought; what a precious place to be! 


No comments: