Tuesday, November 3

Is Evangelism About Getting "Results?"

Has the church done evangelism and missions right? It's especially beneficial at times to listen to the voices of godly men of the past in order to shed light on our day. Certainly one of those "big" voices is Jonathan Edwards. In The God-Centered Life, Josh Moody writes:
Too many of our missionary organizations, whether "foreign" or home mission, develop a piety almost exclusively geared up for getting results. There are too few quiet days, too little sense of the need for personal renewal, too little understanding of the worth of developing personal godliness through times of Bible study and prayer and reading, let alone meditation and reflection. Evangelistic mission tend to be beehives of work and generate a workaholic culture of piety, where godliness is equated to productivity. Edwards was highly productive, yet his personal notebooks and records of the inner life are laced with a desire not for more and more, or larger and larger, "ministries," but for God himself. Edwards is seeking him. Edwards' Resolutions are the best example of this attitude. Here are a few:
 1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory . . .
  
2. Resolved, to be continually endeavoring to find out some new invention and contrivance to promote the forementioned things.

7. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to, if it were the last hour of my life . . .

11.Resolved, when I think of any theorem in divinity to be solved, immediately to do what I can towards solving it, if circumstances don't hinder . . .

25. Resolved, to examine carefully, and constantly, what that one thing in me is, which causes me in the least to doubt of the love of God; and to direct all my forces against it . . .

40. Resolved, to inquire every night, before I go to bed, whether I have acted in the best way I possibly could, with respect to eating and drinking. Jan. 7, 1723. (E. Hickman [ed.], The Works of Jonathan Edwards [Banner of Truth], 1988, vol. 1, pp. xx-xxii)
Taken from Josh Moody, The God-Centered Life: Insights From Jonathan Edwards for Today (Regent College Publishing, Vancouver, BC. 2006).
.

No comments: