Tuesday, September 7

CHRIST ALONE

O GOD,
Thy main plan, and the end of thy will 
   is to make Christ glorious and beloved
     in heaven 
   where he is now ascended,
   where one day all the elect will behold his glory
   and love and glorify him for ever. 
. . . 
Thou has led me to place all my nature
     and happiness
   in oneness with Christ,
   in having heart and mind centered only on him,
   in being like him in communicating good to others;

This is my heaven on earth,
But I need the force, energy, impulses of thy Spirit
   to carry me on the way to my Jerusalem.
Here, it is my duty
   to be as Christ in this world,
   to do what he would do,
   to live as he would live,
   to walk in love and meekness;
   then would he be known,
   then would I have peace in death.
An abbreviated prayer from:
The Valley of Vision: Puritan Prayers and Devotions

No comments: