Wednesday, November 24

Thanks for Greater Things

“The glorious Lord will be unto us a place of broad rivers and streams.”
— Isaiah 33:21
Broad rivers and streams produce fertility, and abundance in the land. Places near broad rivers are remarkable for the variety of their plants and their plentiful harvests. God is all this to his Church. Having God she has abundance. What can she ask for that he will not give her? What want can she mention which he will not supply? “In this mountain shall the Lord of Hosts make unto all people a feast of fat things.” Want ye the bread of life? It drops like manna from the sky. Want ye refreshing streams? The rock follows you, and that Rock is Christ. If you suffer any want it is your own fault; if you are straitened you are not straitened in him, but in your own bowels.
With theses words begins Spurgeon in this morning's devotional. It is a wonderful beginning. I am immediately convicted of my paucity with regard to crying out to God. How small are my prayers. Too little do I ask of Him. Slow of heart am I to reach out in ways which magnify His gracious heart. Such slowness demeans our Lord in our own eyes. I say "in our own eyes" because nothing can truly demean Him. Oh, let us this Thanksgiving holiday season, not only give Thanks, but show our gratefulness by asking God for more, thus revealing Him to the be the magnanimous Giver that He is!
If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. ” (John 15:7–11)  
What kind of fruit? All kinds, not just new converts (which is vital). Fruit here means that in every area of our lives, where Christ is foundational, and the Spirit is functional, our lives will show fruit, in faith, in hope, in prayers, in love. The greater is God, the greater and more frequent our prayers, and the higher our hopes!

No comments: