Tuesday, December 14

CHRIST IS YOUR LIFE -Part 3

The previous two posts have led us to this question, what does it mean when Paul says in Colossians 3:4, Christ IS your life? I received help from the Puritan John Davenant who lays out for us how Christ relates to us as our Life.

First, Jesus PROMISED this life to us. 
John 10:28, I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. Again, Luke 12:32, Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

Second, Jesus MERITED this life for us. 
1 John 4:9, In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. And 1 John 5:11, . . . God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 

Third, Jesus PREPARED this life for us.
God has prepared life for us. Ephesians 2:5, (God) made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved. And, Colossians 1:12, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light

God has also prepared a place for us: John 14:2–3, I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.

Fourth, Jesus BESTOWS this life on us.
John 17:2, you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And then there is 2 Timothy 4:8, Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing. Christ, then, is rightly called our life. As it is said in Hebrews 5:9, And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him.

So, you can see how it is evident that Christ IS our life, having provided for us by promising it, meriting it, providing it and bestowing it on us. But this, to me, doesn't really tell me all I'd want to know about the quality of the LIFE. It tells me THAT I have it. It tells me HOW I got it. I am prompted because of Jesus to give him THANKS for having secured life for me. But what is it to live this life? I hope to answer this in the next post.

God help us to live life through His life!

No comments: