Saturday, January 22

Heaven's Glory Better Than Earth!


Spiritual leaders of the past have agreed that next to the Bible, every Christian should own and use a hymnbook. Add to this books that give us stories of great hymns and you triple your benefit! The following comes from a collection of hymns called Village Hymns For Social Worship by Asahel Nettleton (1783-1844), who was influential in the Second Great Awakening in the United States in the early quarter of the 19th Century. The following hymn is numbered 199 in the book:

The Christian's Hope

What sinners value I resign;
Lord, tis enough that thou art mine:
I shall behold thy blissful face,
And stand complete in righteousness.

This life's a dream an empty show;
But the bright world to which I go--
Hath joys substantial and sincere;
When shall I wake and find me there?

O glorious hour! O blest abode!
I shall be near and like my God!
And flesh and sin no more control
The sacred pleasures of the soul.

No comments: