Monday, October 13

Cry "Uncle" and PRAY!

"Crying Uncle" means giving in, finally. I am referring specifically to becoming men and women of prayer. Really. Enough talk about it. So many wonderful virtues die at the end of a sound bite. Too many comments--once they leave the mouth--seem to fizzle out within 2 or 3 inches of one's lips. We may give mental assent to them and little or nothing changes. Enough! This is a brief call to my brothers in the ministry to pray. (I reflect my own 40+ years of frustration here) Let's not complain about our church prayer meeting if WE are not praying. Enough wishing. Enough guilt about it. Just PRAY! Honestly, is there anyone who'd really disagree with Acts 6:2, 4--"It is not right that we should give up the preaching of the word of God to serve tables. . . But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the Word." What is so attractive about this is it's simplicity. But much is got from simplicity. "Simplicity is truth's most becoming garb." Before we venture into the latest method for promoting church growth we must be sure to follow the biblical precedent. My experience shouts that there is a dearth of praying among ministers. This is a call to change that. Enough!

Can I get my fellow ministers to join with me here? No, not a movement. Just PRAY! Not an admission--only. Just do it. What tremendous blessing we miss. What clarity, what communion with God we forfeit. Let's return to prayer as our first line of defense AND offense.

No comments: