Friday, October 10

What's In a Name?

I am a new "blogger." My wife has been at this for some time (Confessions of a Pastor's Wife at 4yourjoy.blogspot.com). All bloggers know that the initial setup is time consuming and somewhat brain numbing as you seek out an unused name and URL address. I gave a short explanation of the choice of title in my first blog (seemed only right). Now, I want to credit one man with having used the name as a title for his book. Many are familiar with the late D. James Kennedy from Coral Ridge, Florida. Using this title, he penned four dozen meditations on the purpose of the cross of Christ in the Christian's life (Multnomah Publishers, 2007). Of the 48 devotions in this book, one points out the uniqueness of Christianity in that it's Founder, Jesus Christ locates salvation in himself. This is unlike the others systems (Buddhism, Confucianism, Hinduism, Mohammedanism, etc.) who grounded their hope in someone else. Jesus declared clearly, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6). 

Spurgeon (19th C Preacher in London) said to his church, "I sometimes wonder that you do not get tired of my preaching, because I do nothing but hammer away on this one nail. With me it is, year after year, 'None but Jesus! None but Jesus!' Oh, you great saints, if you have outgrown the need of a sinner's trust in the Lord Jesus, you have outgrown your sins, but you have also outgrown your grace, and your saintship has ruined you!" What a hammer! Infinitely greater still, the NAIL! Thank you Spurgeon and Kennedy for broadcasting such a singular Savior! 

No comments: