Wednesday, November 26

Thanksgiving Greetings from Mechanicsville!


Before rejoining the crowd, I have a few moments in the upstairs of the beautiful home of my wife's brother, Steve, in Mechanicsville, Virginia. We always are blessed to stay in what we have come to claim affectionately as the "Nelson Suite," a unit of three rooms decorated to the hilt, and which we get to use whenever we're in town. It’s so good to be here enjoying their thoughtful hospitality, listening to Bing Crosby croon “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas” reminding me of idyllic days with my folks growing up in Richmond. Praise the Lord, I still have my parents though they now live in Pennsylvania. 

Downstairs, my sister-in-law, Kim, and Jennifer her daughter along with my wife, Phyllis are putting the last touches on a Thanksgiving Eve’s new recipe of Chicken Pot Pie. That along with several delectable desserts make for a renewed commitment to the elliptical and Chuck Norris’ Total Gym awaiting us at home in upstate New York. Happy chatter fills the kitchen as each is catching up on all the news of each other’s lives. There’s a warmth about it that’s glorious and inviting. I do wish all folks had as good a time as we. I know many do. Note I didn’t say it’s perfect. No place is. Even ol’ Bing has just now been replaced by Bruce Springsteen’s version of “Santa Claus is Com’n to Town,” not bad, but not my “cup ‘o tea.” Over all our times together are good enough to cancel out any imperfections with an enduring love.

These are the joys associated with those whose homes have been filled with peace--especially the peace of Jesus Christ. It may very well be true that some have few family around with whom they may spend such delightful times. Others may experience more pain than pleasure when with kin. And if that is the case, let me echo what my Dad has been fond of saying on such occasions, "It's not the end of the world." Seriously. We are only here for a brief time--on this earth, I mean. Trust in Jesus. Turn in dependence upon Him, and find that "peace that surpasses all understanding," and "a friend that sticks closer than a brother."

May I just offer anyone who may read this, a very Happy Thanksgiving! God's blessings have been great and frequent. My praise goes up in unmitigated happiness.

No comments: