Thursday, August 20

12 Sins We Blame On Others--Part 2 of 2


Continued from yesterday . . .


7) A Critical Spirit--It's not my fault that the people around me are ignorant and inexperienced.

8) Bitterness--If you knew what that person did to me, you would understand my bitterness. How could I forgive something like that?

9) Gluttony--My wife/husband/roommate/friend is a wonderful cook! The things they make are impossible to resist.

10) Gossip--It's the people around me who start the conversations. There's no way to avoid hearing what others happen to say. And when others ask me questions, I can't avoid sharing what I know.

11) Self-Pity--I'll never be happy, because my marriage/family/job/ministry is so difficult.

12) Selfishness--I would be more generous if we had more money.


Making excuses like this is arrogant and foolish. It's a proud way of trying to justify our actions and pacify our guilty consciences. And it keeps us from humbling ourselves before God to repent of our sins and seek his forgiveness.

Consider James 1:13-15, which leaves us with no way of escaping our own sin and guilt. We cannot blame God, for he "cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one."

Instead, we have to accept the humbling truth that "each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire." This will end the blame game, and it will send us pleading for Christ's mercy and grace.


2 comments:

Pastor Bob Leroe said...

2 quotes:
"Why do I always get blamed for things I do?" & when Linus knocked over a lamp in a Peanuts cartoon he cries, "It's society's fault!"

David R. Nelson said...

Yes, yes! Those are good, Bob. Thanks.