Monday, May 24

Who Cares for Your Soul?


When my spirit faints within me, you know my way! In the path where I walk they have hidden a trap for me. Look to the right and see: there is none who takes notice of me; no refuge remains to me; no one cares for my soul. Psalm 142:3–4

Sigh . . .
Some days our souls sigh. For whatever reason, they just groan. Better experienced than defined, sighing is a sort of weariness which is often inexplicable, but most understood by others who have felt similarly. Here, David calls it "spirit-fainting."

Ah-h-h . . .
Yes, rest. No matter how low, we are not alone. In our loving Father, we have One who "knows" our way. The world lays a trap to ensnare, seeks to trip us, even designs false ways to lure us in so that they may accuse us. This system of evil grates on the soul of the true believer. They are not, yea, cannot be at home wherever God is ignored or worse, hated. So, tied into God are Christians that a contrary word toward God is felt in our own heart. 

Ostracized
He moans further, there is none who takes notice of me; no refuge remains to me; no one cares for my soul. Here we witness a triad of angst--unnoticed, unprotected, and uncared for--forced out, as it were, into the cold of the neglected. The capstone of his complaints seems to be the final word, "no one cares for my soul." Well phrased, many seem to miss this in a day when the physical has systemically pushed the inner life aside. Yet, if folks really saw the larger picture, they'd realize that it is the internal realities that rule one's life. 

Happy Thought!
The Psalmist mirrors our hearts doesn't he? Perhaps at times we may cry, "No one cares for MY soul" either. But God knows. Left in the cold of a devilish system, we are not left alone. For God, our Father, knows our way. We cannot hide from Him . . . thankfully! So . . . forget hunting for others to take notice of you. Refuse to seek a refuge in anything or anyone else. And know that in a world that over-accentuates the physical, God looks right past that into the inner depths of our soul . . . and loves us. Never alone.
 

No comments: