Wednesday, March 2

Book Recommendation: HELL UNDER FIRE

I was glad to see that Justin Taylor put this resource on his blog. In light of the attacks from many quarters on this age-old doctrine of eternal damnation, I pass this book along for those anxious to find a good resource on the subject. I have not yet read it (which I realize is not the best way to endorse something), but reviewing the list of contributors alone induces my support.

Here’s a book I highly recommend if you want serious engagement with exegetical issues related to the doctrine of hell: Hell Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents Eternal Punishment , edited by Christopher Morgan and Robert Peterson (Zondervan, 2004).
Here are the chapters with contributors:
1. Modern Theology: The Disappearance of Hell (R. Albert Mohler Jr.)
2. The Old Testament on Hell (Daniel I. Block)
3. Jesus on Hell (Robert W. Yarbrough)
4. Paul on Hell (Douglas J. Moo)
5. The Revelation on Hell (Gregory K. Beale)
6. Biblical Theology: Three Pictures of Hell (Christopher W. Morgan)
7. Systematic Theology: Three Vantage Points of Hell (Robert A. Peterson)
8. Universalism: Will Everyone Ultimately be saved? (J. I. Packer)
9. Annihilationism: Will the Unsaved Be Punished Forever? (Christopher W. Morgan)
10. Pastoral Theology: The Preacher and Hell (Sinclair. B. Ferguson)

No comments: